Saturday 4 February 2017

The Selection by Kiera Cass

I don't have a favorite genre, but I would be lying if I said I didn't absolutely LOVE me some YA fiction. I may be a bit...ahem, out of the target demographic...but there is just something about YA books that completely draw me in. I used to be embarrassed by my love of YA, but no longer. I've just finished listening to the audiobook of The Selection, so I've chosen it as the first review of my new blog.


the_selection_coverBook: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Other Books by this Author: The Selection series, The Siren
Goodreads
 Plot
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

My Thoughts:

This book essentially combines two of my somewhat-guilty-but-not-really-all-that-guilty pleasures: The Bachelor and Dystopian society YA novels. And that could never be a bad thing!


Though it took me a little while to fully grasp the workings of it, I found the caste system interesting, if not completely original. For some reason the relationship between America and Aspen didn't draw me in as much as I wanted to. I don't know if I wasn't completely in the zone when I started the book, or I wasn't yet used to the narrator of the audiobook, or perhaps because I knew America would be a part of The Selection, but for whatever reason it just fell a little flat for me. But once it got in to The Selection itself, I was hooked.


Besides the fact that Prince Maxon's first line made me cringe (America was right to be annoyed by the 'my dear'!), I found myself 100% Team Maxon. Annoying pet names aside, I found him endearing and I was really rooted for he and America to end up together. I like America's spirit, and I loved learning more about the castes and the society, as backwards as it seemed.


I've seen some negative reviews and only just today read about some controversy surrounding this book on Goodreads. I can see why some people may not have liked the book, I don't think it's everyone's cup of tea. In fact, I went in not expecting to really like the book. But I couldn't have been more off. I listened to this book constantly: while drying my hair, riding my bike to work, during my short lunch break, while making lunches for the kids, basically any chance I could. Audiobooks are pretty new for me, and I love love LOVE physically reading, so I usually have an audiobook for commuting to work and any mindless tasks such as folding laundry, and a book on my Kindle to read basically any other chance I get. But I got so immersed into this story, that I couldn't bring myself to stop and read something else. Now if you'll excuse me, I'd better get back to listening to The Elite...



No comments:

Post a Comment