Saturday 25 February 2017

Tricky Wisdom by Camryn Eyde

Book: Tricky Wisdon
Author: Camryn Eyde
Series: Tricky Series

Summary:
Darcy Wright is a closeted lesbian who has been infatuated with her best friend, Taylor, since junior high. Leaving her small northeast Minnesota town for Harvard in a quest to become a doctor, she moves in with med-student Olivia Boyd, a neurotic, anal, gigantic pain in the backside. The first year of juggling medical school is gruelling, but it’s nothing compared to living with Olivia.
Coming out to her friends and family with an anti-climactic flop, Darcy uses her newly publicised sexuality to try and win Taylor’s affections through an ill-hatched scheme that crosses uncomfortable lines. The result is as unexpected to Darcy as Darcy’s affinity for medicine is to Olivia.
The first year of medical school is a nerve-wracking encounter in medicine, learning lessons the hard way, and finding what her heart desires.

My thoughts:

This book came highly recommended to me by my wife, who had read several of Camryn Eyde's books in a week(!) and said this was her favorite. I was hooked from the start and it was a very quick and enjoyable read.  Darcy was likeable as a main character and Eyde did a nice job expressing Darcy's pain and need to separate herself from her longtime unrequited love, her best friend Taylor. (I did NOT like Taylor, and I don't exactly know why Darcy spent so long pining for her. My best guess is that she was a very different person before her jealousy reared it's ugly head.) Olivia was a complex and interesting character and she really kept the story moving. It's not always easy to turn a character from someone you dislike to someone you root for, but that's exactly what Eyde did with Olivia.  Olivia was uptight and neurotic and only a few pages in I remarked to my wife 'ugh, I really don't like her roommate!' But a few hours later, my opinion did a 180 and I said 'Okay, I like Olivia now. But Taylor, ugh!'  (Here I should apologize to my wife for my complete inability to keep my opinions to myself when reading a book we've both read, or watching a TV show, or pretty much anything. I know I'm a pain in the ass so thank you for sticking with me!) 

Darcy and Olivia had strong chemistry from the beginning, even when Olivia was being a judgmental snob. The chemistry ramped up quickly as Olivia's feelings began to change, though Darcy was still stuck in Taylor-town for far too long for my liking!  When Olivia and Darcy became a couple, the dynamic was a bit off, as their chemistry seemed to take a backseat rather than moving forward. But as I read further it became clear that this was part of the quirkiness of their unique relationship.

I thought the end felt a bit...not anti-climactic (there was definitely climaxing!) but maybe a bit sudden. I think this is mainly because this book is part of a series and left more for the next instalment.  I was excited to download the next book in the series as soon as I finished, only to find out it's not been released yet. However I hear the next book is due to be released within the next few weeks! (Miss Eyde, if you need a beta reader to help get the book released sooner, I volunteer as tribute!)

Overall, this was a great read and I'm eagerly anticipating Tricky Chances!



No comments:

Post a Comment