Monday 20 March 2017

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

Book: The Rosie Project
Author: Graeme Simsion
Other Books by this Author: The Rosie Effect, The Best of Adam Sharp
Goodreads

Description:Don Tillman, professor of genetics, has never been on a second date. He is a man who can count all his friends on the fingers of one hand, whose lifelong difficulty with social rituals has convinced him that he is simply not wired for romance. So when an acquaintance informs him that he would make a “wonderful” husband, his first reaction is shock. Yet he must concede to the statistical probability that there is someone for everyone, and he embarks upon The Wife Project. In the orderly, evidence-based manner with which he approaches all things, Don sets out to find the perfect partner. She will be punctual and logical—most definitely not a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker, or a late-arriver.
Yet Rosie Jarman is all these things. She is also beguiling, fiery, intelligent—and on a quest of her own. She is looking for her biological father, a search that a certain DNA expert might be able to help her with. Don's Wife Project takes a back burner to the Father Project and an unlikely relationship blooms, forcing the scientifically minded geneticist to confront the spontaneous whirlwind that is Rosie—and the realization that love is not always what looks good on paper.
The Rosie Project is a moving and hilarious novel for anyone who has ever tenaciously gone after life or love in the face of overwhelming challenges.

I found this book when I was combing through the library website, searching for a new audiobook.  I'd never heard of the book, nor the author, but the premise sounded interesting so I decided I would give it a go.

I enjoyed The Rosie Project and even though at times it felt like nothing much was really happening, I found myself drawn in by Don and his projects. It was a bit of a different take on my usual chick-lit...it was a delightful rom-com written by a man and told through a man's perspective.

Simsion's development of the characters was strong, I really liked both Don and Rosie.  Don's quirks were endearing, especially due the fact that he didn't recognise his quirks as such, and wasn't aware that he has Asperger's Syndrome. Don Tillman could perhaps be described as a caricature of a person with Asperger's, but I didn't find it to be overwhelmingly so and I was very interested in  'seeing' through Don's point of view.

This was a light and fun 'read,'  entertaining and perfect for listening to on my commute and while marking papers. There is a sequel, although at this point I'm still undecided if I will read it.  I would like to revisit Professor Tillman and Rosie, but I'm also very happy with the way The Rosie Project ended.




2 comments:

  1. Love your review :) the sequel is worth a read but i think only if you don't have any other books on the go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's great to know. I do have a few books due for reviews in the next week or two but I'll keep it in the back of my mind for the next time I'm not sure what to read!

      Delete